[bioontology-support] parent/children services

[bioontology-support] parent/children services

Tomasz
Hi,

I noticed that parents/children REST signatures were removed from the
hierarchy services section on the wiki. If they're being phased out how
long can I continue using them?

Thanks
Tomasz

--
Tomasz Adamusiak, MD, PhD
European Bioinformatics Institute

Re: [bioontology-support] parent/children services

Trish Whetzel
Administrator
Hi Tomasz,

I'm not aware of any web services being phased out. Is this in reference to the form of the hierarchy web services using the ontology version id?

Trish

On Apr 12, 2011, at 5:12 AM, Tomasz Adamusiak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that parents/children REST signatures were removed from the hierarchy services section on the wiki. If they're being phased out how long can I continue using them?
>
> Thanks
> Tomasz
>

> --
> Tomasz Adamusiak, MD, PhD
> European Bioinformatics Institute
> +44 (0) 1223 492 562

Re: [bioontology-support] parent/children services

Tomasz
Hi Trish,

My question is related to this specific change on the wiki, which
resulted in removal of the virtual/[parents|children] signatures from
the documentation:

http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php?title=BioPortal_REST_services&diff=10476&oldid=10475

Cheers
Tomasz

On 12/04/2011 13:40, Trish Whetzel wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> I'm not aware of any web services being phased out. Is this in reference to the form of the hierarchy web services using the ontology version id?
>
> Trish
>
> On Apr 12, 2011, at 5:12 AM, Tomasz Adamusiak<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that parents/children REST signatures were removed from the hierarchy services section on the wiki. If they're being phased out how long can I continue using them?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tomasz
>>

>> --
>> Tomasz Adamusiak, MD, PhD
>> European Bioinformatics Institute
>> +44 (0) 1223 492 562
>> [hidden email]

Tomasz Adamusiak, MD, PhD
European Bioinformatics Institute
+44 (0) 1223 492 562

Re: [bioontology-support] parent/children services

Ray Fergerson
The documentation for these methods was removed because the methods caused
lots of confusion and there is another method that performs the same
service and is clearer. The "term" call in the BioPortal api returns both
parents and children for any term. This call will work for any ontology
version in BioPortal. The deprecated methods only worked for a single
ontology version and often this version was not the latest. This caused
lots of confusion.

While we encourage the use of the alternative "term" call, we have no
plans to remove the (now) undocumented calls so you can continue using
them indefinitely. You should be aware of their limitation, described
above.

Ray

My question is related to this specific change on the wiki, which
resulted in removal of the virtual/[parents|children] signatures from
the documentation:

http://www.bioontology.org/wiki/index.php?title=BioPortal_REST_services&di
ff=10476&oldid=10475

Cheers
Tomasz

On 12/04/2011 13:40, Trish Whetzel wrote:
> Hi Tomasz,
>
> I'm not aware of any web services being phased out. Is this in reference
to the form of the hierarchy web services using the ontology version id?

> Trish
>
> On Apr 12, 2011, at 5:12 AM, Tomasz Adamusiak<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that parents/children REST signatures were removed from the
hierarchy services section on the wiki. If they're being phased out how
long can I continue using them?

>> Thanks
>> Tomasz
>>

>> --
>> Tomasz Adamusiak, MD, PhD
>> European Bioinformatics Institute
>> +44 (0) 1223 492 562
>> [hidden email]

Tomasz Adamusiak, MD, PhD
European Bioinformatics Institute
+44 (0) 1223 492 562

Re: [bioontology-support] parent/children services

Tomasz
Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. Now it's much clearer. Will modify our code
to use the better approach.

Cheers
Tomasz