[bioontology-support] Units of Measurement Ontology in BioPortal License

[bioontology-support] Units of Measurement Ontology in BioPortal License

Jacob Barhak
Hi George,

You are listed as the maintainer of the Units of Measurement Ontology :

I am using this nice specification in my unit mapping project:

I am now working on a proposal that asks for license details and I am trying to locate the license of Ontology . It says that it is public, yet I do not see the exact license.
I was looking at the BioPortal Terms of use, yet the link is broken : https://www.bioontology.org/terms.html
and I only see citation information here:

I need to know the exact license of the data - I assume its creative commons, yet I need confirmation to write the correct license in the proposal. And I need it quickly.

Hopefully you can help resolve this quickly.

Re: [bioontology-support] Units of Measurement Ontology in BioPortal License

George Gkoutos
Hi Jacob,

Ccing Rob and Luke who should be able to help out here.

Best wishes

George

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [bioontology-support] Units of Measurement Ontology in BioPortal License

Jacob Barhak
 Hi Luke, Hi Robert,

If you can give me a quick answer it will allow me to proceed. I need to submit the proposal in a couple of days and need to specify the license so I can legally use your specification.

Many of such resources like your unit specifications are public domain, yet some have less open licenses. from the hints I gathered you are under some sort of creative commons license - perhaps CC0 or another such license. Yet since you are not explicit other than the word "public" in the description, I need confirmation from your team.

Please let me know as soon as you can. I really would want to include the unit ontology in the proposal.

           Jacob

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 4:01 AM George Gkoutos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jacob,

Ccing Rob and Luke who should be able to help out here.

Best wishes

George

> On 21 Sep 2020, at 23:27, Jacob Barhak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi George,
>
> You are listed as the maintainer of the Units of Measurement Ontology :
> https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/UO/?p=summary
>
> I am using this nice specification in my unit mapping project:
> https://clinicalunitmapping.com/about
>
> I am now working on a proposal that asks for license details and I am trying to locate the license of Ontology . It says that it is public, yet I do not see the exact license.
> I was looking at the BioPortal Terms of use, yet the link is broken : https://www.bioontology.org/terms.html
> and I only see citation information here:
> https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/BioPortal_Help#How_to_cite_NCBO_and_BioPortal
>
> I need to know the exact license of the data - I assume its creative commons, yet I need confirmation to write the correct license in the proposal. And I need it quickly.
>
> Hopefully you can help resolve this quickly.
>
> --
> Jacob Barhak Ph.D.
> https://sites.google.com/view/jacob-barhak/home

Re: [bioontology-support] Units of Measurement Ontology in BioPortal License

Robert Hoehndorf

Dear Jacob,

UO was listed as CC-BY 4.0 on the OBO Foundry; I have now added this
license to Github.

@Luke, it would be great if you could add the metadata to the UO OWL
file as well.

>  Hi Luke, Hi Robert, If you can give me a quick answer it will allow
> me to proceed. I need to submit the proposal in a couple of days and
> need to specify the license so I can legally use your specification.

> Many of such resources like your unit specifications are public
> domain, yet some have less open licenses. from the hints I gathered
> you are under some sort of creative commons license - perhaps CC0 or
> another such license. Yet since you are not explicit other than the
> word "public" in the description, I need confirmation from your team.

> Please let me know as soon as you can. I really would want to include
> the unit ontology in the proposal.

>            Jacob

> -- Jacob Barhak Ph.D.  https://sites.google.com/view/jacob-barhak/home

> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 4:01 AM George Gkoutos <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>  Hi Jacob,
>>
>>  Ccing Rob and Luke who should be able to help out here.
>>
>>  Best wishes
>>
>>  George
>>

>>  > On 21 Sep 2020, at 23:27, Jacob Barhak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Hi George,
>>  >
>>  > You are listed as the maintainer of the Units of Measurement
>> Ontology : >
>> https://bioportal.bioontology.org/ontologies/UO/?p=summary
>>  >
>>  > I am using this nice specification in my unit mapping project: >
>> https://clinicalunitmapping.com/about
>>  >
>>  > I am now working on a proposal that asks for license details and I
>> am trying to locate the license of Ontology . It says that it is
>> public, yet I do not see the exact license.  > I was looking at the
>> BioPortal Terms of use, yet the link is broken :
>> https://www.bioontology.org/terms.html > and I only see citation
>> information here:
>>  >
>>  https://www.bioontology.org/wiki/BioPortal_Help#How_to_cite_NCBO_and_BioPortal
>>  >
>>  > I need to know the exact license of the data - I assume its
>> creative commons, yet I need confirmation to write the correct
>> license in the proposal. And I need it quickly.
>>  >
>>  > Hopefully you can help resolve this quickly.
>>  >
>>  > -- > Jacob Barhak Ph.D.  >
>> https://sites.google.com/view/jacob-barhak/home
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >

Re: [bioontology-support] Units of Measurement Ontology in BioPortal License

Jacob Barhak
Thank you Robert,

Your reply is very helpful. It really helps.

          Jacob