[bioontology-support] Collaboration inquiry?

[bioontology-support] Collaboration inquiry?

sirintrs
Hello Dr. Shah, hope you are having a good holiday.

As part of the project team for the National Center of Biomedical Ontology, I am reaching out to you, and have cc’d my MSK colleague team member Rimma Belenkaya who works with OHDSI, to see if there may be some touch points on collaboration. I realize you handle Bioportal and really find it a useful community resource for ontologies.

Our group is working on modeling pathology data and clinical outcomes. Similarly to what your group is doing, we are trying to tie other efforts into a standardized framework. We find that pathology data in pathology reports and clinical outcomes are poorly modeled, and we are trying to remedy that, tying our concept nodes to existing standards like ICD0, but also mapping to other standards where there are data gaps like oncotree, SNOMED, NAACR, ASCO mCODE, and AACR PRISSM.

Basically we were interested in knowing if our efforts can be harmonized and integrated into Bioportal, basically having our subject matter experts work on the areas of the ontology that need continual iteration, particularly with cancer.

Would that be of interest with your group? And would you know of funding opportunities to sustain such a collaboration?

Thanks and best. Joe

Sent from my iPad

S. Joseph Sirintrapun, M.D., FASCP, FCAP
Director of Pathology Informatics

Diplomate, Clinical Informatics (ABMS)
Associate Attending
Department of Pathology

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
T <a href="tel:212.639.2169" dir="ltr" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="2/2" style="text-decoration-color: rgba(127, 127, 127, 0.380392);">212.639.2169   F <a href="tel:212.717.3203" dir="ltr" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="2/3" style="text-decoration-color: rgba(127, 127, 127, 0.380392);">212.717.3203

Please note that this e-mail and any files transmitted from
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center may be privileged, confidential,
and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of
you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or other use of this communication or any of its attachments
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message
and deleting this message, any attachments, and all copies and backups
from your computer.

Re: [bioontology-support] Collaboration inquiry?

Nigam Shah
Dear Dr. Sirintrapun,

Thank you for reaching out, and hope you are enjoying the holidays as well. I am copying Dr. Mark Musen, who is the PI and the expert in all things related to ontologies. The National Center for Biomedical Ontology has evolved into a new entity called the Center for Expanded Data Annotation and Retrieval (CEDAR; https://metadatacenter.org/#about) and is probably a better fit for a conversation around modeling pathology data and clinical outcomes.

Best regards,
Nigam.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:55 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

1275 York Avenue Rm A515, New York, NY 10065
T <a href="tel:212.639.2169" dir="ltr" style="text-decoration-color:rgba(127,127,127,0.38)" target="_blank">212.639.2169   F <a href="tel:212.717.3203" dir="ltr" style="text-decoration-color:rgba(127,127,127,0.38)" target="_blank">212.717.3203