[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Bryce Mecum

[bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Bryce Mecum

support

Name: Bryce Mecum

Email: [hidden email]

Location: http%3A%2F%2Fbioportal.bioontology.org%2Fontologies%2FECSO%3Fp%3Dclasses%26conceptid%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fpurl.dataone.org%252Fodo%252FECSO_00000536

Feedback:

I'm trying to figure out if there's documentation on how Bioportal extracts definitions, synonyms, etc. from ontology terms. I can kinda guess (SKOS definition, altLabel, etc) but a comprehensive mapping would be handy.

Re: [bioontology-support] [BioPortal] Feedback from Bryce Mecum

Michael Dorf
Hi Bryce,

Thank you for your question. I don’t believe our documentation offers details on how we extract these attributes. I can give you a few pointers.  Our class/term model defines several built-in attributes, which we then populate using the values of a number of properties defined within the ontology. These built-in properties are:

label
prefLabel
synonym
definition

The attribute label is populated using a property: http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label
The attribute prefLabel is populated using the following logic:

1. Look for a prefLabel property supplied by the user when the ontology is created. If exists, use it to populate prefLabel attribute of the model.
2. If the user has not supplied a prefLabel property, use one of these (in the order of priority):

The attribute synonym is populated using the following logic:

1. Look for a synonym property supplied by the user when the ontology is created. If exists, use it to populate synonym attribute of the model.
2. If the user has not supplied a synonym property, use one of these (in the order of priority):

The attribute definition is populated using the following logic:

1. Look for a definition property supplied by the user when the ontology is created. If exists, use it to populate definition attribute of the model.
2. If the user has not supplied a definition property, use one of these (in the order of priority):

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact us if you require further elaboration.

Michael

Name: Bryce Mecum